Saturday, 16 May 2015

A few days in hospital with Ovarian Hyperstimulation





When I arrived at the hospital they put me into the assessment room on the gynae ward fairly swiftly.  The Dr came to see me but had to go off to a delivery briefly so it was about an hour before he came back and got me admitted properly.  I was able to get myself a bit calmer by this point because I at least knew somebody was going to take me seriously. When the Dr came back he put in a cannula, took some bloods and started a bag of IV fluids to begin getting me rehydrated.  I was still trying to hold out and not take anything stronger than Paracetamol so they gave me an IV dose as I was still quite nauseas.  Just as long as a clutched my pillow and stayed on my back with my knees up I could manage. 
 
Before too long the senior Drs – Registrar and Consultant – came round and confirmed that they would be admitting me and that they felt that it was likely to be Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS).  The plan was to do an ultrasound, rehydrate me with a few quick bags of fluid and keep those running overnight, get my pain under control and monitor my fluid balance closely as one of the complications of OHSS can be kidney failure.  I never thought I would be that glad to be admitted to hospital but by that point I was just so relieved to be somewhere where they could help me.   Unfortunately they weren’t able to organise the ultrasound for the same day as it was a bank holiday Monday, obviously it would have been done if it was urgent but since the scan wouldn’t have changed the management then it was reasonable to wait until the next day for this.  My blood results at this point just showed that my white blood cells had gone up but my CRP – inflammatory marker – which I though was usually raised in OHSS was normal, the Dr informed me however that this isn’t always raised.

I forgot that sometimes Drs don’t communicate everything with nurses so despite the fact that I had told the Dr I had diarrhoea I was move to a bay with 5 other ladies.  By the time I’d got my head together enough to inform the nurse that I had had diarrhoea however I was then faced with a long wait for a side room.  In the mean time I was fairly settled in the bay.  Matt went home to walk the dog and pick up a long list of things that I gave him.  While he was away a couple of the sisters from the ward where I work came down to visit me. At that time I was still resolutely trying to stand the pain for fear of taking anything stronger than Paracetamol in case I was pregnant.  When they got there however they basically told me that I was being silly, that the Drs wouldn’t have prescribed me anything that would be harmful to any potential baby and that I should have some proper pain relief and anti-sickness medication.  This was of course excellent advice and within half an hour of giving in to some oral morphine and some IV anti-sickness (ondansertron) I was feeling an enormous amount better and was almost acting like a normal human being when Matt and my sister arrived.  I think I’d just become so tense and terrified that I didn’t realise just how much pain I was in until it began to ease.  I consoled myself by knowing that while taking morphine wasn’t ideal, being super stressed wasn’t going to do any potential pregnancy any good either.

The rest of the first day was spent being rehydrated with 3lts of IV fluid, keeping a close eye on how much urine I was passing to check my kidneys were ok and trying to keep myself calm and comfortable.  They weren’t able to move me to a side room until 11pm but once I was in there I was able to get settled down for the night and get a few hours sleep.  I woke again at 1:30am and got myself into a bit of a panic.  With all the fluid I was having I was just getting more and more swollen, my tummy was getting tighter and tighter and even my back was swollen.  I was terrified I was going to go into kidney failure and just couldn’t imagine how much more swollen I could get.  I went to see the nurse at the desk and just had a bit of a meltdown I was so terrified.  She was lovely and somebody made me a cup of tea and she got the Dr to come and see me a reassure me that I was having all the right treatment and being closely monitored.  I knew exactly what she would say but sometimes when you’re in such a state you just need somebody else to tell you it.  This helped to calm me down and when she’d gone I had some more morphine and managed to get a solid 4 hours sleep which is the most I’d had in days.

The next morning is a bit of a blur, I passed the time just listening to radio, dozing and playing with my phone and hobbling backwards and forwards to the toilet.  I managed a very brief shower which made me feel a little better but really took it out of me.  They’d weighed me when I first came in and I was 67.3kg, 3kg over my normal pre IVF weight.  The second day they came to weigh me, the plan was to weigh me and measure my girth around my belly button every day to monitor how much fluid I was retaining – and I’d gone up to 68.4kg and 92 1/2cm round the middle showing just how much fluid I was retaining.  I hadn’t been weighing myself at home because I don’t have scales but I knew this was now 4.4kg more than normal and my girth was getting bigger and bigger, I don’t know what I measure round normally but I’d measured myself a few days earlier when I was already quite bloated and I was 86cm so this was definitely increasing significantly.

The Dr popped in and took some blood but there wasn’t a lot for her to add other than carry on with the IV fluids and wait for the ultrasound. I went down for the ultrasound at about 1400 and wasn’t allowed to eat or drink for about 4 hours before (I think it was meant to be 6 hours before but they didn’t tell me until a bit late).  I made sure I timed some decent pain relief before I went because I was sure that somebody pressing on my abdomen with an ultrasound was going to be painful.

 

Diagnosis


They did an ultrasound of my abdomen and pelvis.  The ultrasound of my abdomen showed extensive ascites – fluid in my abdomen – with quite a lot of fluid either side of my liver.  They also did an internal ultrasound which showed my ovaries were significantly enlarged, they did tell me how big but I can’t remember now I think they were about 8cm.   I felt quite distressed after the scan, in some ways it was good that it had confirmed the diagnosis but at the same time it was quite terrifying to wonder what they could do about it.
When I got back to the ward I was rather frustrated as I’d been nil by mouth for the scan but because the Dr hadn’t specifically said in the notes ‘can eat after scan’ the nurse wouldn’t let me eat, of course as she said I could have ignored her but I didn’t want to blatantly go against her instructions. It was very frustrating because it was the first time I was beginning to fancy eating anything in days, the day before all I’d managed was some jelly and a little bit of shepherd’s pie. What was even more frustrating was that the catering staff aren’t allowed to treat you like an intelligent human being so they wouldn’t leave me some dinner for once I’d spoken to the Dr.  The consequence of this was that I had a complete meltdown in front of a student nurse and the catering staff.  It wasn’t so much about the food itself, it was more that that was just the final straw, I felt so awful, I was getting bigger and bigger, I wasn’t sleeping, I couldn’t get comfortable, I was terrified about whether the condition would start to affect my kidneys and now I couldn’t even eat or drink.
I managed to pull myself together and the Dr came to see me and explained that the results of the scan confirmed moderate OHSS and that the plan was to stop the IV fluids now that I was rehydrated, carry on monitoring my fluid balance, carry on with the pain relief, continue with anti-coagulants – blood thinners – and compression stockings to reduce my risk of blood clots and if things steadied out I could potentially be monitored as an outpatient. I had mixed feelings about this information, while in some ways it was good to be reassured and I knew that in the logical part of my brain it was all the correct treatment the thought of being sent home was really scary as I just didn’t know how I’d cope with the pain and discomfort.

 

Not So Restful Night


That evening they moved me again to another side room as the one I was in really belonged to the obstetric side of the ward and they needed to move me back to the gynae side.  While this was a bit of a pain I didn’t really mind as I know what it’s like trying to juggle beds and the new room was actually nicer than the first.  That night I was a bit stressed as I was worried that the Dr would turn up the next day and send me home.  I managed to get a bit or sleep to start off with however when I had a couple of very unsatisfactory tiny wees of only about 30mls of dark urine the nurse, and me, got a little bit worried about my kidneys. Since they didn’t want to start any more IV fluids they kept waking me up every hour or so and making me drink a few glasses of water.  As difficult as this was it did work quite nicely and onne they were happy things had steadied out I got a solid 4 hours or so sleep.
The next morning they weighed me again and I’d gone up to 70kg and 94.5cm meaning I’d put on a total of 2.7kg since I was admitted, 6kg (nearly a stone) over my normal and grown 2cm since the day before.  This was of course all the fluid that I was retaining in my abdomen – when I looked at my fluid balance for the past few days it showed that I was 4lt positive over 2 days, this means I’d had 4lts more in than I’d passed out and it was all sitting in my abdomen.  The problem with OHSS however is that you still have to keep drinking really well because the fluid is all in the wrong places meaning that if you don’t keep well hydrated the fluid leaves your circulation and goes into your abdomen leaving your circulating volume dangerously low and meaning your blood can get very thick and sticky and at risk of blood clots. 

As they’d hinted about managing me as an outpatient I was terrified all that day that they were going to just come and tell me I could go home.  I really didn’t want them to send me home when my size and my weight were still going up significantly, I just couldn’t see how I could get any bigger and was still scared I might start to get more complications if I continued to expand.  As it happened however the Drs didn’t come round to see me until about 5:30pm which suited me quite well as I didn’t want to go home that day and they couldn’t send me home that late.  When they saw me they informed me that my bloods were still ok and that I still fitted into the ‘moderate’ category of Ovarian Hyperstimulation as I hadn’t developed any of the nasty complications.  This was good to know however believe me, nothing felt moderate about me situation, I was enormous, a stone over my normal weight, in pain, short or breath and unable to take deep breaths.   

The plan from the Drs was to keep me in one more night, continue to monitor my fluid balance for the moment, see if I could manage going from the oral morphine onto codeine to control the pain and if everything was steady in the morning to send me home.  I was happy with this by this point, still scared of going home because I’d been in such a mess before I came in but I knew I was starting to get things under control now.  That night I slept quite a lot better, I think I got 2 solid blocks of about 4 hours which was the most I’d had in a long time.  The next morning when they weighed me I’d stabilised at roughly the same weight and girth which was reassuring.  I managed on just codeine and oral anti sickness medications overnight which was good so I felt ok about being discharged home and the plan was to bring me back in 2 days later for further blood tests. 

All in all my experience of being in hospital was not one I’d wish to repeat but at the same time I was so thankful to be in hospital and being looked after and monitored after having such a horrendous few days at home.  So Thursday I packed up my things which took an enormous amount of effort and waited for my medications to take home with me.  Matt was at work so the plan was for my Mum to come and pick me up and stay with me for a few days.  We got home by about 4pm and got settled in, there’s more drama to come but I’ll stop this post for now for fear of sending you to sleep with my rambling.
To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment