Sunday, 5 June 2016

Super-Soft Blanket for my Super-Squishy Girl




With a little one on the way at the end of last year I decided I was going to put the craft fairs on hold and focus on making things for my long awaited little lady.  I spent ages trawling Pinterest for Granny Square type blocks that I loved. I figured you’ve got to love it, you don’t want to make a big pile of them then decide you prefer something else. I put together a little Pinterest board called ‘Blanket Trials’ and collected together a few to give a go.  Having tried 3 or 4 I settled on this one from Ravelry. 
 


I’d already made a rainbow coloured blanket so decided that this one should be something more muted. I needed a yarn that was super soft and went for the Rico Baby Classic from Love Knitting, a yarn I’ve used before for hats and booties and was really impressed with, it’s 50% Acrylic 50% Polyamide and I find it feels much more high quality than a lot of other synthetic yarns I’ve tried.  Choosing colours online can be hard so I tend to copy and paste the pictures of each colour onto a Word file and put them next to each other to see how they go.  For this blanket I used Green (28),  Smokey Rose (39), Pistachio (06), Candy Pink (19), Turquoise (25), Dusky Pink (40) and used Ecru (20) to do the borders. 


I find the problem with making lots of granny squares is making sure you have a variety of different colour combinations so that the blanket looks balanced.  I therefore go through a rough plan to start off with.  I make a load of middles first,  2 in each colour, then make sure each of these has a different colour combination round it, then once I’ve completed these I go back and make 1 more middle of each colour and do another different lot of combinations and so.  In this way I find the best way to get a random looking blanket is to actually have some order to it but don't have to plan out exactly every colour combination for every square I'm going to make.  When I nearly had enough I then laid them out on the table.  6 colours is the minimum you need to make sure that the main colour is not next to or diagonal from a square of the same main colour.  Once I’d laid them all out I used scraps of paper to write what squares I needed to complete the blanket.

Once the squares were made I crocheted them together. I find this much easier and quicker than sewing them together. It creates a little ridge at the joins of the squares but I quite like this affect personally. 


 

I was hoping to have the blanket done in time for my little one’s arrival however on New Year’s Eve she decided it was time to get going if she wanted to share Mummy’s birthday on New Year’s Day so the blanket was abandoned along with towels I'd been sitting on in case my waters broke (I didn't stop to take this picture while in labour, I took it when I got home from hospital)!









Finally at 5 months old Jemima now has her finished blanket!  I decided to go for a nice plain and simple edging and just did 3 rows of double crochet in colour round followed by 1 row of half trebles round to finish it off.












No comments:

Post a Comment