Thursday, 7 July 2016

7 Thoughts on Supporting a Friend Struggling with Infertility


There are so many “10 things not to do…” “3 things that I hate…” posts about but sometimes I find their overt negativity a bit unnecessary.  During a journey with infertility people will say many hurtful and upsetting things, there’s no way of avoiding it. As the one who’s struggling with infertility it’s important to remember that people aren’t being insensitive on purpose, they’re just completely stumped as to what to say. As the one who’s trying to support a friend or relative it can be really difficult to not put your foot in it or to know how to help. Here’s some of my experiences from my struggle with infertility. 

“Just relax”

I said I was trying to tell this in a positive way but I just couldn’t think of a way to turn this point around and it’s one of the upsetting things I found I was told most often. “Just relax” – there’s points over the last 3 years where I’ve felt like if one more person tells me to relax I’m going to punch them in the face and then they’ll find out exactly how relaxed I’m feeling. The ‘just relax’ advice is terrible for a number of reasons.

Firstly, people who are having fertility problems are stressed because they’re not getting pregnant, they’re not failing to get pregnant because they’re stressed.  Yes perhaps stress can exacerbate or contribute to the problem and it certainly doesn’t help but there are hundreds of thousands of people around the world who are extremely stressed and are popping out babies at a rate of knots so to dismiss it in this way is not helpful.

Secondly, when did anybody ever relax just because somebody told them too, somebody saying ‘you should just relax’ or ‘it happened for me when I stopped thinking about it’ etc etc doesn’t make you just think ‘oh of course, I’ll stop worrying about it, I didn’t think of that, I was only thinking about all my hopes and dreams of having a family crashing around me, but now that you point out I need to relax problem solved. If someone you know is stressed dealing with infertility issues find a practical way to help them relax, take them on a night out, go on a spa day together, make them a cup of tea, find them something to punch, most importantly just listen to them, nobody ever relaxed because somebody told them too!

Thirdly, what I would hear when people said to me ‘just relax’ was ‘it’s your fault’. I know this was never their intention but that’s how it felt, and still feels, none the less. It felt like they were saying that I was in this situation because I was such an uptight individual that I’d got myself so worked up about things and caused these infertility problems.  This of course is nonsense but this is how it feels when people say ‘we just didn’t think about it’ or ‘we just stopped trying,’ the implication feels like ‘if you were just a more chilled out individual like me it would happen for you'.  While these people obviously mean well while they’re telling me these stories I’m thinking to myself “Of course you were relaxed, it only took you a couple of months to get pregnant, I was relaxed back then!” I was completely content and happy looking forward to a new little life.  Don’t get me wrong, I do think that being very stressed is not helpful to conceiving and it’s important to find strategies to stay as relaxed as you can but the implication that the stress was the original problem  is generally inaccurate, the fertility problems came first and stress naturally follows.

So if you’re worried about a friend who’s struggling with infertility rather than telling them to relax just be there for them, listen to them.

You don’t have to find a solution

Often some of the insensitive things people inadvertently come out with are just for lack of knowing what to say. “You wouldn’t want them anyway,” “You could just adopt”, “My friend was trying for 5 years and it just happened.”  All of these bits of advice are well meant but can be really difficult for a multitude of reasons.  What is important to remember when talking to somebody about fertility problems is that you don’t have to provide them with the answer.  They will find their answer but the process may be a very long, difficult, grief stricken road and they don’t know what that answer will be yet , how many obstacles they’ll have to overcome to get there or how many tears they’ll have to cry to reach it.  Hearing other people’s stories of overcoming infertility is encouraging but what is terrifying about infertility is the uncertainty, if somebody had told me I would have my little girl but it would take 4 years I could have coped with that, but for all that time I didn’t know if I would ever bare my own child and that was terrifying. The fact that it worked out for others doesn’t change that uncertainty because you still have no idea if it will work out for you.  So I know you’ll wish you could find an answer for your friend but all you can do is be there and listen while they find it for themselves.  

Include them in they want to be

When struggling with infertility I found I felt very lonely and inadvertently excluded. Just as I was starting the IVF the last couple of our close friends told us they were expecting.  I felt that was it, they were the last ones and it really hurt.  I know  many people will think that play dates, lunches with Mummy friends, first birthday parties aren’t the height of excitement but when that’s what all your friends are doing and that’s all you want to be doing it really hurts. So try to include them in your play dates, birthday parties and baby showers because being overlooked, even if for seemingly good reasons, really hurts.   At the same time appreciate that it may well just be too painful for them to come. Explain that you want to invite and include them and ask if they want you to carry on inviting them and if they do just keep asking and hopefully they’ll find a way to cope.

Cope with their coping

People find different coping mechanisms.  When we’d been trying about 2 years we decided to get a dog, it was something we wanted to do anyway but had been planning to wait until after children. Since that wasn’t happening we decided to get a gorgeous little puppy. I can’t explain how much of a help this was for me, it was a distraction, it got me out of the house, it gave me something to pour my love into, when I was crying on the kitchen floor and Matt wasn’t there to look after me she was there.  So if you have to put up with hundreds of dog photos or hear ‘hilarious’ cat stories just try and share their enthusiasm and understand how much it helps them. 



Try not to complain about your children to them too much

I’m not saying you can’t talk to them if you’re having a tough time, of course you need support too for what you’re going through as much as they need support for what they’re going through. I’m more talking about the phrase “You wouldn’t want one anyway, mines being a complete nightmare…” People struggling with infertility don’t think that their life is going to be all sunshine and roses once/if they have a child, nor do they think that when they have a baby they’ll go skipping through their whole life without complaining about them. However even in your negative statements about your children you’re reminding that person about a club that they’re wondering if they’ll ever be part of. They don’t know if they’ll ever be a parent, something they may well have dreamt of and looked forward to their whole life, a whole world of ups and downs that at this time is closed off to them.  So just bear in mind that hearing about the difficulties of having children is not a remedy for infertility and may be just a difficult to hear for those struggling with infertility as the positive stories.  They know there are challenges in being a parent but they desperatley want to experience them because they know how much they're worth it.

Bear with them if their actions seem a bit irrational

Sometimes it’s not always obvious what the sensitive option is. For example I had a number of friends who became pregnant while I was struggling and a few times I had texts saying “Can I just pop round for a cup of tea.” These were from people who don’t just pop round for a cup of tea so as soon as I got their message I knew what they were popping round to say.  I know they were trying to be sensitive to my feelings and tell me when there weren’t other people around but I found this really difficult. They’d come round and I’d have to sit there waiting for them to tell me, then when they did, congratulate them, ask when they were due etc. I found personally I would have preferred if they just told me by text so I could deal with a process the information on my own, perhaps have a bit of a cry then put myself back together again for next time I saw them.  The tricky thing with this is that different people may not feel the same about this, they may prefer to be told in person, they might prefer not to be singled out. This makes it difficult for those who are trying to support someone with infertility as it may appear they’re acting irrationally or getting upset with you when you were only trying to help. So just bear with them, try to understand their irrationalities and forgive them.

Just listen

     The simplest point by far and probably goes without saying. I was always quite open about my fertility problems, that was the only way I could cope, many others aren’t, they find it a very private and lonely experience. So if they have opened up to you it may well have been extremely difficult for them so just take your time, listen and show them love.


These are just a few of my own feelings and experiences and I do appreciate that in relation to many others my infertility journey has been quite short and straightforward, we were incredibly blessed that IVF worked for us 1st time, so others may have very different experiences. If anybody has any feedback or anything to add I’d be really interested to hear what people think.


No comments:

Post a Comment