I love Christmas time and I really enjoy seeing all the presents wrapped up under the tree ready to share but I find that comes with a certain amount of stress trying to think up what to give. I like to go for something a little unusual and crafty if I have the time rather than the traditional chocolate (not that I ever mind receiving chocolate so don't worry if that's what you've got me) and this year I decided to go for some scrummy mulling syrup. It worked out around £8-9 per gift once you've brought the bottle, ingredients, a bottle of wine or cider to go with it and a present bag to put it in so not necessarily saving money by making it yourself but lovely to give something a bit different. It does work out cheaper per bottle if you make a big batch as you only have to buy ingredients like the All Spice once over as you get loads.
The recipe I used can be found here. All the ingredients are simple to find in the supermarket except for whole Allspice, I've got to be honest I always thought that allspice was a spice mix rather than a whole spice! I brought mine on line from this website, it arrived really quickly and the delivery was free which was great as it kept the cost down.
Preparation - Sourcing the bottles and sterilising
I wanted to source some really nice bottles to present the syrup in, in Norfolk we are fortunate to have an excellent Homebrew shop and I found these lovely but not too expensive bottles there, if you're more organised than me and don't leave it until the last minute though you can probably get some on line without any problem or try somewhere like Ikea.
The recipe recommends sterilising them by putting them in the oven but I wasn't sure how this would work with the flip top bottles, I imagine you can take the seals off so that they're safe to go in the oven however it seemed easier just to use some of the sterilising powder my husband uses for his home brewing, it's easy to find at shops such as Roys, Wilkos, any shop that sells homebrew equipment or if not then on line. Rather than making up a whole lot and pouring it into the bottles I found it easier to put about 1/8 teaspoon into each bottle then fill them up with water.It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas
One of the best things about making this syrup is the gorgeous smell that fills the house. I did 10 times the recipe so needed 2 big saucepans full.
No comments:
Post a Comment