It’s nearly my egg collection day, eek! When I started I felt like the whole process
would drag but it’s just flown by and I can’t believe I’m
reaching the conclusion of this process. I’ve managed to get nearly 2 weeks of work so
my main priority now is to try and sit, relax and look after myself.
Last Scan
I had my final and blood test today to check everything is ready for the egg collection on Wednesday.
The scan looked really good and I have 24 nice follicles
sitting there hopefully ready to give up their little egg’s. Apparently 24 is a very good number and
higher than average but they didn’t seem concerned about ovarian hyper stimulation
syndrome, which can be dangerous, so I was very pleased that I seem to have got
the perfect balance. As I
keep reminding myself though this doesn’t mean that they’ll get 24 eggs, it doesn’t
mean that they’ll develop into embryos and ultimately it doesn’t mean that I’ll
get pregnant but at least we're starting from a good point,
Last Injection
At the moment I’m waiting for a phone call from my clinic to
tell me what time my egg collection will be on Wednesday and this will
determine when I give my trigger injection tonight. The trigger injection is called Ovitrelle and
it matures the eggs so they’re ready to be harvested – I hate that word but I’ll use it for want of a better
one! This has to be given exactly 36 hours prior
to your egg collection presumably so that the eggs are mature but you don’t
have time to actually ovulate so that the eggs remain in the follicles for them
to get them out. So this injection will
be some time this evening up until around midnight. I also have to give my final dose of
Buserelin tonight which helps keeps everything in check and makes sure I don’t ovulate. Then I’m done for injecting myself, perhaps
until my next cycle of IVF or hopefully forever if it all works.
Anxieties
I’m feeling fairly relaxed about everything at the
moment. I’m obviously really not looking
forward to the egg collection but I’m
not unduly anxious, I feel like if I can just try and keep myself calm take all
the support and advice offered to me from the staff I’ll be ok. I know it’s going to be painful but it’s also over fairly quick and I’ll have plenty of sedation on
board to help me through it. If it works I’ll get everything I ever wanted
and a bit of pain will be well worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment